When it’s time to pop the question, the method should be just as original as the girl. These are not one-size-fits-all suggestions, and we refuse to be held responsible for rejections if you choose poorly.
10. The Top of the Eiffel Tower: Actually, this is the only suggestion that will work for any woman, period. If you’re not a millionaire who can spirit her away for a surprise vacation, the Las Vegas version of the Eiffel Tower is not as tall, but it’s much cheaper to get to.
9. In a Fancy Restaurant: This is the old standby. Have a waiter drop the ring into her drink or desert. As long as the waiter actually follows through and your intended lady doesn’t choke on her ring, drop to one knee with a flourish. This will not work at a McDonald’s or Applebee’s.
8. On the Jumbotron: Think very carefully. Does your girlfriend like sports? Or is she just saying she likes sports to spend time with you? If she has a favorite team and owns more than one jersey or T-shirt of that team, take her to a game. Call the stadium and arrange for your proposal. An added bonus is that she’s less likely to say no with thousands of strangers watching for her response.
7. Via Karaoke: Do you have “a song”? Can you carry a tune or look endearing while you sing? Make sure to tell the DJ your plans, and use a nice long instrumental break to ask for her hand.
6. The Rose Petal Trail: When she comes home from work, she finds the house filled with candles and a trail of petals leading somewhere. It looks great even if you have zero decorating skills. The downside: Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case your elaborate setup gets out of control.
5. Where You Met, Your First Date, and So On…: It’s a simple idea, and since you’re doubling up on a location, you won’t have to remember yet another “special spot.” This will not work if you met in a bar, a nightclub or the DMV.
4. At Her Parents’ House: This may not be your top choice, but a family-oriented woman will appreciate the whole nine yards: First, ask her father for permission. And, if you’re stumped for a romantic setting, enlist her mother for help.
3. Her Birthday or Favorite Holiday: Birthdays and holidays already involve surprises and unwrapping, and you won’t ever forget the date you proposed. All you have to do is sit back and wait until she unwraps the ring box.
2. With a Puppy: No woman can resist a puppy with an engagement ring tied to its collar, unless she’s allergic, prefers cats or will get mad if you get the “wrong” breed. But if you’ve already been discussing a dog, kill two birds with one adorable stone.
1. You Know, However: Sometimes, simplicity is key. Tell her what you love about her, how happy you are with her and why you want to spend your life with her. Kneel and pull out the ring. If it just feels like it’s time, go for it.